41 GREENWICH AVENUE NEW YORK, NY
Built in 1849 as a four story-plus-basement town home, the building was converted to multi-family apartments with garden-level retail in the early 1900's. The project involves removal of the building's raised first story and sunken basement level and creation of a new ground floor at grade. The result is a double-height retail space and three residential floors above. The new facade design maintains the appearance of two separate floors while creating a more open and transparent storefront to meet modern retailing needs. The design was reviewed and approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission.